Desirable New Features for Web Site
Information Architecture – Desirable New Features for Web Site (May 3 Meeting)
Discussion was based on a review of ethnographic survey comments and review of other library websites.
- Library Maps + Call number to location assistance
- Interactive Guide to Databases
- Mobile version
- Customization by User/Separate Portals by audience (personalized news feeds, bookmarks, widgets)
- Virtual Tour
- Assignment Calculator
- Help needs to be looked at systematically by a team that will provide an integrated approach to help across the web site
- "Scholarly Publishing Support/Services" as a category, including RUcore, RUresearch, Fordham Lab, e-journals, Digital Curation and Media. Other U's have "Publishing and Scholarly Support", "Scholarly Publishing Studio".
New Site Features
- Top 10 databases
- Alerts/RSS/Social Media
- Video and other help at point of need
- Citation Manager help – beyond just RefWorks
- More assistance finding journals
- Better linkage to other Rutgers services (myRutgers, Sakai, etc.) via Rutgers megamenu
- Call number guide
- Autocomplete search terms
- Additional means to get help – tweet or text your question
- Miscellaneous new elements: Print on Demand/Lost and Found/Disaster Plans/Safety
- Dynamic news, including tips and how-tos for doing research.
- Login/My Account more visible, easier to tell whether logged in. Challenge at point of need. "Why Pay? Use Us!". Also ability to log out of proxy.
- Placement for Alerts (e.g. Snow Days), special communications (service outages)
- "Ask Us/Tell Us"
- Ability to search just in Lib Guides
- "Concealed" site search – requires mouseover – eliminates some confusion about where to type search.