Draft Outline Rutgers University Libraries Website Governance
***Rutgers University Libraries Website Governance***
1. Purpose - what is the purpose of the Rutgers University Libraries' Website? How does it support RUL's mission? What is contained in this policy?
The Rutgers University Libraries' website's primary role is to support the Libraries' mission to "enrich the instructional, research, and public service missions of the University through the stewardship of scholarly information and the delivery of information services." This policy defines the governing structure that will be used to maintain and update the website.
2. Scope - what is the scope of this policy?
The policies contained within this document apply to all publicly available websites published by Rutgers University Libraries including LibGuides, YouTube, the myRU portal, Facebook, and Course Management Systems (Sakai, eCollege, Blackboard).
3. Goals/Objectives - What are the overall goals and objectives of the website? (Include how they align with our strategic plan.)
- provide access to scholarly resources for the Rutgers community
- streamline the methods for information access
- ensure accessibility by people with disabilities
- improve the discovery and navigation of the user's search experience
- foster a common identity and level of consistency across the website
- ensure the principles of flexibility, integration, information literacy, simplicity, context, and self-sufficiency identified in the Final Report of the Ethnographic Research Project are adhered to in the website redesign
- implement the priorities outlined in the Final Report of the Ethnographic Research Project with available resources
- utilize the strategies recommended in the Final Report of the Ethnographic Research project to manage the web redesign
- ensure that the design of the website works with the most common browsers
- provide mobile access to our website for the most popular devices
- implement a semi-annual release schedule
4. Roles and Responsibilities - who are the stakeholders? what are their responsibilities in website governance?
- Users - these are the consumers of our information services primarily the faculty, students, and staff of Rutgers University
- WebBoard - the body that governs the website and sets forth the policies that will be used to maintain it
- User Services Council
- Newark Library Community
- Camden Library Community
- Communications and Marketing
- Content Providers
- Subject Specialists
- Bibliographic Instructors
- Technical Specialists
- Web Developers
- System Administrators
- University Relations (Rutgers Identity)
5. Processes - what are the set of processes that keep the website up-to-date?
- Development/Implementation/Maintenance Process
- Page design (e.g. template standards/style guide, MLA, toolbar, accessibility, tagging, etc.)
- Theme (identity, color, banners)
- Request for new web pages
- Page publishing/update process
- Patch and new version installation - change control
- Test plan – include user feedback
- Structural design - Refer to Sam's documents on content relationships and service relationships
- Inventory of website structure - Refer to Sam's documents showing the page structure and content owners
- Content Review
- Compliance Process
- How will compliance be monitored?
- How will quality control be executed?
- What is the schedule for editorial review?
- What processes are in place to insure we have consistently applied terms and labels?
- Governance Process - describe how the governing body will carry out its work.
- The Web Board will establish a long-term governance structure that will enable it to perform a major overhaul and redesign of the website during 2011 as well as semi-annual sub-releases.
- The Web Board will create as many agile working groups or teams as needed, such as the Content Management Team and the Google Analytics Team, to carry out its goals and objectives
- The Web Board will establish a process to enable the submission of new ideas and new services to the website
- The Web Board will meet twice per month for the foreseeable future in order to make progress on its initiatives and goals
- When will the major redesign be released?
- What is the schedule for new releases, patches and updates?
- Is there a scheduled maintenance window?
- Identify our website's Key Performance Indicators?
- How will assessment be carried out?
- Google Analytics and other web logging analysis tools
- Counting Opinions or other approved survey methodologies